You are here
The National Institute of statistics (L'Institut National de la Statistique: INS) was created in 1969. It is a non-administrative public organization . It also represents a central organ in the national statistics system. According to its
status, INS is managed by a governing board chaired by the INS Chief executive officer.
Headquarters: 70, rue Ech-cham BP 265 CEDEX Tunis, Tunisia
Phone : 71 891002
Fax : 71 792 559
Email : INS@ins.tn
Website : http//www.ins.tn
• Ensuring data gathering, processing and analysis as well as disseminating statistical information in coordination with the other public statistics organizations.
• Conducting censuses and demographic, social and economic surveys.
• Elaborating national accounts according to its different scopes (national, quarterly).
• Elaborating indicators for the business cycle and insuring the follow-up and the analysis of this cycle.
• Organizing national statistical documentation by gathering data issued by the organizations of the national statistics system.
• Ensuring technical coordination for public statistics activities.
• Ensuring a permanent secretariat for the Statistics National Council.
• Organizing international cooperation in the field of statistics.
At the central level : INS is made up of 7 central departments: 6 technical central departments in charge of designing and monitoring the production and dissemination of statistical information, and a central management including the shared service. Besides, two units are under the supervision of the INS General Management: :
• The Permanent Secretariat for the Statistics National Council
• The business cycle information center.
The central departments:
• C.D. of demographic and social statistics.
• C.D. of business statistics.
• C.D. of the national income accounting.
• C.D. of the business cycle and business studies statistics.
• C.D. of regional statistics.
• C.D. of dissemination, IT and coordination.
At the regional level: INS is represented by six regional departments (Districts) covering the country’s major.
The main mission of the regional representations consists in achieving the operations of data gathering, encryption and entry. Their mission includes other specific regional activities as well as the development of regional statistics in their respective geographical zones.
INS Representations in the Regions
Map of Tunisia with regional distribution and key
INS Main Activities
Demographic and social statistics
• Population and housing general census.
• Elaboration of population and civil status statistics.
• Surveys of employment among households.
• Population projection.
• National survey of household consumption.
• Staff size and salaries in the public service.
• Infrastructure indicators.
• National directory of companies.
• Surveys of companies’ activities.
• Yearly and quarterly national accounts.
• Business cycle measures.
• Foreign trade statistics.
• Survey of investments.
• Follow up of the business cycle.
• Technical coordination in the field of statistics.
• Permanent Secretariat for the Statistics National Council.